Selp-Care Tips: How To Be Happy and Healthy
Mar 03, 2019
We all want to be happy.
Have you ever asked yourself how to be happy?
How to find happiness?
How to live a healthy lifestyle?
What is happiness?
Happiness comes when we start taking care of ourselves. We can genuinely improve health and increase happiness with self-help. It doesn’t require winning a lottery ticket or some other drastic change of circumstance.
In this fast-paced world, self-care has become essential for everyone. When we care for ourselves, we bring in positive energy, positive attitude, and confidence.
To bring out satisfaction and joy out of life one has to take care of an inner change of perspective and attitude.
Here are five easy self-help tips to boost yourself for good health and happiness
- Meditate and Do Yoga
- Eat Healthy, Stay Healthy
- Train Your Brain to Be Positive in Every Situation.
- Live The Present Moment
- “LOL”- Lots of Love
1. Meditate & Practice Yoga
“Get your OM on”!
“Meditation” or “dhyana” is the best way which can keep us healthy. It boosts our mind; helps us to have sound sleep and increase self-esteem.
It does not mean concentrating for hours or so; ruminating just for few minutes can relax the mind instantly. It isn’t about becoming a new person or a different person; it’s about getting a healthy sense of perspective.
There is no such thing as perfect meditation. Sometimes we forget to breathe and start wandering. That’s Ok. It’s a part of the experience. But what’s essential is to meditate consistently.
“Meditation is not about trying to turn off our thoughts or feelings; it’s about learning to observe them without judgment.”
Practicing Yoga keeps our body fit, improves our immune system, and helps build our strength whereas; meditation keeps the mind stress free, it reduces our anxiety levels and keeps us away from depression.
2. Eat Healthy; Stay Healthy
There is a saying
“You are what you eat.”
Eating isn’t only about satisfying hunger. Eating healthy means we should take essential nutrients according to the body’s requirement.
It should result in making the mind calmer, lose anxiety levels, make digestion function better, adrenals stress- free, regulate hormones, and as a result, making the skin look better.
Eating food that is high in calories and low in vitamins and minerals “i.e. empty calories” – can lead to excess weight gain.
Virginia Woolf has rightly said that “One cannot think well, love well, and sleep well if one has not dined well.” It is an established truth that a balanced diet is the first prerequisite for a healthy and happy life and health is the first prerequisite for successful living.
Eating healthy does not have to be boring. Here are 5 healthy foods which are surprisingly delicious
- Fruits and berries: These are among the world’s popular health foods. Fruits are easy to incorporate because they require no preparation. Some of the fruits are loaded with fats instead of carbs like Avocados, Bananas, etc.
- Nuts, seeds, and peanuts: Despite being high in fat and calories studies suggest that nuts and seeds can help lose weight. These nuts are crunchy, fulfilling and are loaded with essential nutrients. And they are easy to incorporate in the diet as they require zero preparation, such as Almonds, Chia Seeds, Walnuts, Peanuts, etc.
- Vegetables: Vegetables are among the world’s most concentrated source of nutrients. There is a wide variety available, and it is best to eat vegetables every day. Dark green vegetables are a good source of many vitamins (such as vitamin A, C, and K) and minerals (such as iron and calcium). They are also a good source of fibre such as Broccoli, Spinach, Cauliflower, Cucumber, etc.
- Grains: Consuming food rich in fibre, such as whole grain, as a part of overall healthy eating, reduces the risk of heart disease and may reduce constipation. High fibre food such as whole grain help provides a feeling of fullness with fewer calories. Selecting whole grain for at least half of our daily servings may help maintain our weight, such as Barley, Oatmeal, Popcorn, Millet, Quinoa etc.
- Legumes: It is true that legumes contain anti-nutrients that can interfere with digestion and absorption of nutrients. Legumes are uniquely rich in both protein and fibre. They are among the best plant-based source of dietary plan. Legumes are not only highly nutritious; they are also very cheap, which makes them an important staple food in developing countries, such as Green Beans, Kidney Beans, and Lentils.
3. Train your brain to be positive in every situation
A brain produces more than 70,000 thoughts per day, and 80% of the thoughts that we monitor are negative. When our brains go negative, it takes away all our productivity, creativity and decision-making skills. It’s good to spend 1 minute on positive thoughts three times a day for Forty days, surrounding ourselves with positive people.
As we all know emotions are contagious, and it is obvious that when we are emotional, we get negative thoughts, so to ignore those thoughts surround with people who inspire or motivate. One more best way to keep brain positive is to meditate as we have already discussed it above.
4. Live the present moment
One of the most important tips to be happy is to live in the present moment. People often think of past or about the future. Practice the Art of Now.
We don’t appreciate living in the present because we have ‘Monkey Minds’. Our thoughts swing just like monkeys from trees to trees. It is right that our thought is our boss who tries to control us. But living in the present moment helps us to stay active and open.
5. “LOL”- Lots of love
To be happy, “Love is all you need.” Love is a key for a happy and fulfilling life. It has a positive effect on each person’s self-esteem and sense of well-being. Loving someone we love keeps us happy but it does not mean that we need to be in a relationship. It is not a mark of ownership on another person, but the opposite- a genuine appreciation of a person as a separate individual.
Be with your loved ones, enjoy the nature and spread love with Amayaan.