The Power of Om Chanting: Benefits of Chanting Om Silently
The word OM itself is a powerful sound. The power lies within us, and it helps us to discover the inner strength that lies within all of us.
OM is the first sound of the universe; it is the wave that was produced at the time of the creation of the universe. According to Chandogya Upanishad, OM is Bhrahma, the timeless consciousness. It is inhabited by the Trinity. When you meditate OM all your conflicts and inner turmoil disappear.
In Jainism, Om occupies a vital place as the remover of all sins. Its essence carries magic that can free your mind from material conditioning. It is not a word; it is an intonation which is beyond the barricades of age, race, and culture.
The mystic syllable OM is made up of three words “AA” “AU” and “MA”, when combined make the sound of Aum. This ancient mantra is traditionally chanted at the beginning or end of a yoga class. It has a deeper connection with the body if practiced daily.
According to yoga and other scriptures, the letter OM corresponds to three gunas (values):
A: tamas, it signifies darkness and ignorance (waking state)
U: rajas, it signifies passion, activity and dynamism (dream state)
M: sattva, it signifies purity, truth, and light (state of deep sleep)
Chanting OM connects to all living creatures, to nature and the universe. It has many physical benefits, as it slows down the nervous system and calms the mind. It relaxes the mind and decreases the blood pressure, which results in improvement of a healthy heart.
How Should OM Be Chanted?
While chanting OM, one should sit cross-legged with back, head, and spine straight. Now close your eyes and take a deep breath in and then breathe slowly out. Again take a deep breath in, and start chanting Om. Repeat it three times, and you will feel the vibration of the Om sound reverberate through every single cell in your body.
Anyone can recite this mantra. It is both a sound and a symbol which has a rich meaning. The three letters “AUM” embody the divine energy and it has three main characteristics: creation, preservation, and liberation. When we chant Om, we feel the vibration in our body, and the body is relaxed.
The daily chanting of OM gives peace to our mind, body and soul. The yogis of ancient India knew the power of this mantra and chanted it day and night to connect to their soul and to gain salvation.
Benefits of Chanting OM
- Chanting OM detoxifies your body by getting rid of toxins and keeps you young and energetic.
- It makes a positive space inside you.
- Increases your concentration level and focus and as well as helps in achieving your goals.
- The most important is that it opens up your sinus and clears it.
- Chanting OM will have better control over our feelings and emotions.
- It cleanses your face and imparts a glow on it.
- It improves the hormonal balance.
- It increases your immunity level.
- Chanting Om places you in the meditational state which gives you deep relaxation.
- It improves your voice quality by strength to voice vocal cords and muscles around it. It is very helpful during old age.
- It is said that after chanting Om rubbing your both hands together gets charged and putting those charged hands on your face and other body parts activate those body parts.
- Regular chanting helps in mood swings and improves work capacity and performance. Thus it is said that with regular chanting you can improve your personal as well as professional life.
- Research has suggested that OM or AUM chanting created a significant impact on the spinal cord of a person. The vibrations created during chanting improves the efficiency of the spinal cord.
OM chanting can enhance alertness even when you are already relaxed and your mental awareness increases. While meditating, it helps you become more present by putting you deeply in touch with the environment via sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch. It increases your environmental awareness. The vibration that occurs while chanting OM stimulate the nerves throughout the body and affect the body and the brain. It relieves from stress and depression.
The lifestyle of people is changing day by day which leads to stress, anxiety and depression. Late night working and then waking up late in the morning disturbs your overall body cycle. You can improve sleep and wake up routine by regular practice of humming OM. It can’t be assured that you will fall asleep, but it assured that you get sound and enough sleep.